Ralph W. Hornsby tried numerous cases before me when I was a Circuit Judge. His detailed case preparation and his absolute competence in presenting his cases made him stand out among his peers. Ralph knows how to handle a witness-both his own and his opponents’. His gentlemanly, positive approach to his cases and indeed to his life set him apart from his colleagues and has made him the winner he has always been. When it came time for me to retire from the bench and re-enter private practice I jumped at the opportunity to form a firm dedicated to the clients’ best interests in court with my partner, Ralph W. Hornsby.
Ralph was already an acknowledged leader when I joined him. He had been elevated by his peers as President of the Alabama Trial Lawyers Association. He was a sought after lecturer in the areas of trials, personal injury practice and workers’ compensation. Ralph is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Northern and Middle Districts of Alabama. He is also admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit. Ralph is a cutting-edge lawyer who, for the first time in the nation, established that punitive damages were recoverable in arbitration hearings.
Ralph understands the working man. He made his way through undergraduate school at Samford University on a track scholarship. He briefly attended seminary, worked selling books door to door for several months. Ralph earned his B.A. in 1961 and his Juris Doctorate in 1965 from Cumberland School of Law, Samford University.
In addition to being President of the Alabama Trial Lawyers Association, Ralph has been on the Alabama Trial Lawyers Board of Governors as well as their Executive Committee since 1975. He is also a member of the American Association for Justice and has been on its Board of Governors. He is a member of the Alabama Bar Association, the Huntsville- Madison County Bar Association and the American Association for Justice. Ralph is a Master of the Bench in the Madison County American Inns of Court.
Ralph has the highest rating awarded by Martindale-Hubbell, AV. I am proud I have had him as a best friend since 1966 and to been able to call him partner since 1988.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Personal Injury Law
- Products Liability Law
- Workers’ Compensation Law
- Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
- Wrongful Death
- Alabama, 1965
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
- J.D. – 1965
- Samford University, Homewood, Alabama
- B.A. – 1961
- First Alabama Bank
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Highest rating awarded by Martindale-Hubbell, AV
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Alabama Trial Lawyers Association, President, 1983 – 1984
- Alabama State Bar Association, Member
- Huntsville-Madison County Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Alabama Trial Lawyers Association, Member, Executive Committee, 1975 – Present
- American Association for Justice, Member, Board of Governors, 1984 – 1985
- Madison County American Inns of Court, Master of the Bench
- Sigma Delta Epsilon
- Sigma Nu
- Sigma Delta Kappa